Welcome to Emerald Estates
Situated in Parksville – a city in the heart of Oceanside on the sheltered east side of Vancouver Island, Emerald Estates is a much sought after independent living community situated within a short walking distance to grocery stores, drug stores, coffee shops/restaurants, banks, seniors recreation center, bus stop, community beach park, and all that one requires from a seaside city. This unique lifestyle for the 55+ would appeal to seniors who are transitioning out of the family home and wanting an independent style of living with supportive services. Emerald Estates is a strata complex with 8 privately owned units in each of 6 buildings for a total of 48 privately owned patio homes. Suites come in two models:
Guidelines for Independent living for Emerald Estates
The Homemakers are not care aides and are not qualified to be. Residents are expected to be able to take care of their own laundry, personal care, take their recycling and garbage to the designated areas and have good cognitive and social abilities.
If Prospective Residents before moving to Emerald Estates:
- Cannot prepare their meals or do housework
- Require daily assistance with personal care such as medication, bathing, or dressing
- Cannot escape building on their own in case of fire
- Cannot function safely with the support available at Emerald Estates
- Cannot recognize the consequences of taking a risk
- Cannot find their way within the Residence
- Cannot find their way back to the Residence
- Cannot communicate effectively so that they are understood by others
- Cannot recognize an emergency, use an emergency response system, or summon help
- Are unable to make decisions on their own behalf
- Less than 55 years of age
Support Services available when living at Emerald Estates
Weekly Light Homemaking Service (Mandatory)On a scheduled specific day each week, the homemaker will perform the following services in each unit:
- Vacuum floors (without moving furniture), clean mirror bypass doors and dust each unit including lower level windowsills. Put the resident’s suite to a state of general neatness. (Dusting does not include window blinds, wall pictures, delicate ornaments, upholstered furniture, or the application of any furniture polish.)
- Change and launder bed linens, bathroom and kitchen towels as required
- Clean kitchens including exposed exterior of appliances, sinks and taps and floors. (Cleaning does not include the interior of appliances, or washing any dishes.)
- Clean bathtubs, showers, vanity sinks, mirrors, floors, and sanitize toilets
- Please Note this is a general outline for the Emerald Estates Homemaking Service and may be customized by each individual homemaker.
Optional Dining ServicesMonday through Friday 5 p.m.
- The Homemaker may provide a full course nutritional meal in the Dining Area at 5:00 pm (Check with the Resident Homemaker as many residents only interested in part-time dining, so dining program may differ from building to building) on specific week-days between Monday and Friday as customized by request of the Diners in each Building. (Residents enjoy this social gathering which provides an opportunity to become better acquainted and form new friendships.) When requested by Residents, a morning coffee/tea time is provided in the Dining Area.
- The Cost of Dining Service is $14.50 per Meal for all Full-time and Part-time Diners.
- The Homemaker has the option to serve a meal on a statutory holiday then bank this day to be taken off at a later date. (Residents will be notified accordingly.)
- Residents who wish to have personal guests join them for a meal must request permission from their Homemaker in advance and be responsible to pay the extra cost for their dinner guest.
- Residents must have permission from the Homemaker to enter the Common Area Kitchen at any time day or night.